Monday, June 8, 2009

ArcGIS JavaScript API 1.4 released, and some functions no longer work the same in IE8.

I am an avid GIS Programmer, and I primarily use ArcGIS Server as the platform for my GIS Layers and I use ArcGIS JavaScript API as the web engine. I have however had many issues making all my existing websites function properly in IE 8. This is partially because the API uses dojo, and until dojo 1.3 version was released, there were many compatibility problems with dojo and IE8 .

While I was able to resolve most of my issues when ArcGIS JavaScript API 1.3 was released, I am back to the grinding wheel with the latest release of ArcGIS JavaScript API 1.4 . I have once again found more problems that I have to address or work-around with ESRI's latest release of their JavaScript API.

One of the first problems I noticed, is that when using shift+click+drag to draw a zoom rectangle, the oncle slick zoom rectangle no longer appears although the function still appears to work. If you look at their sample posted here, you will notice that they no longer list the zoom function.

If you have IE 8, you can view this test page that I built here which is using ArcGIS JavaScript API version 1.4. If you have FF, take a look and use the zoom function and you will see that the zoom function does not draw correctly. Both of these problems do not exist in version 1.3.

1 comment:

  1. Ok, here is a correction to my own BLOG, there is a way to make this function work, but it is not straight forward. The sample code will not work unless you remove the center tags, and add the style="margin:0 auto;" to the map div. Doing this will center the map correctly and make the zoom function work again.

    ReplyDelete